Music System keymap

This section is for player created guides. No questions should be posted here
Suvi
Archwizard
Archwizard

Music System keymap

Postby Suvi » Fri May 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Some of you may have noticed that the music system was made operational. This means that players can get musical instruments and play all kinds of tunes with them.

This guide will show you how to use them. However, I must warn you that I'm not a musical person, and my knowledge in notes and what not is next to 0 so there are most likely some horrific errors in this guide. It should get you started though.

First you'll need to wield the musical instrument in hand. Once you have succesfully wielded it, open up options-window and go to the Controls-tab. In the Controls-tab you can select Music Mode.

Once you're in Music Mode, your keyboard will be used to play sounds instead of movement etc. If you want to move, switch the camera mode back.

The Music system for now has 3 octaves. The basic keymap for the system is shown in the following picture:

Code: Select all

First:
C2  - shift + Q
C2# - shift + 2
D2  - shift + W
E2b - shift + 3
E2  - shift + E
F2  - shift + R
F2# - shift + 5
G2  - shift + T
G2# - shift + 6
A3  - shift + Y
B3b - shift + 7
B3  - shift + U

Second:
C3  - Q
C3# - 2
D3  - W
E3b - 3
E3  - E
F3  - R
F3# - 5
G3  - T
G3# - 6
A4  - Y
B4b - 7
B4  - U

Third:
C4  - A
C4# - Z
D4  - S
E4b - X
E4  - D
F4  - F
F4# - V
G4  - G
G4# - B
A5  - H
B5b - N
B5  - J

There'll hopefully be a way to configure the keys later on.

bgvanbur
stupid goblin
stupid goblin

Re: Music System keymap

Postby bgvanbur » Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Perhaps you could add a action skill (like switch ranged/melee) to switch from camera to music mode.

Noan*
slimy wurm
slimy wurm

Postby Noan* » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 am

Are there plans for more instruments or are we going to be stuck to flutes? I can provide acoustic and electric guitar chord recordings if you need them.

Also, I've never played a flute before(IRL) but the sound seems a bit off. And can we have vibrato and a way to hold down a note? That would be way cool.

I've so far played by ear:
Meow Mix song
Cosmos Canyon
Yellow Submarine
a little bit of hotel california
a little bit of some other stuff.

Can't seem to get anything that requires some kind of extended note play.

Suvi
Archwizard
Archwizard

Postby Suvi » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 am

Sadly the sound system can only play wav-files currently so it's impossible to have longer or shorter notes

Noan*
slimy wurm
slimy wurm

Postby Noan* » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:30 am

I thought the WaveOut API allowed the sound to be manipulated directly(never really played with it so I wouldn't know).
But regardless, couldn't you just create a shorter sound and have it play over and over again while the key is held down?

Suvi
Archwizard
Archwizard

Postby Suvi » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:59 am

The plan was to have instruments where the sound would not be loopable. Also a looping sound might work in the client but not too well in a networked playback.

When I was implementing the system, I tried using the api to adjust the playback speed but it gave incorrect results. The playback-speed also affected the pitch so I wasn't able to use it either. The current wav files are exported from a midi program and tested manually with a chromatic tuner :)

The best solution would be to have a better sound engine that can handle playback speeds and pitch changes correctly. So the optimal thing would be that I had just one wav-file there and could produce the rest on the fly. For now it's impossible but maybe someday. I've been kinda unhappy with the current sound engine anyways so it might be time to change it eventually.

fire
slimy wurm
slimy wurm

Postby fire » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Well, having heard people playing the Gek flute, (and getting quickly bored with it), I can say, I'm pretty happy. :I'm the lollern00b!:

Noan*
slimy wurm
slimy wurm

Postby Noan* » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Man, that stinks. Maybe you could allow us to compose our own melodies and save them to the server from in game or something, that way you wouldn't have to stress the server with key presses and such. It would be pretty awesome! I'd definitely try and write some songs in game haha.

Return to “Guides”